There have been a lot of things going on in my life in the past year, with some rather large changes that have had a huge affect on the way I think and live my life. I look at this as a work in progress, and as part of this progress am consciously choosing to fill myself up with things that make me think and inspire me. I thought I would share some of the things that I am loving right now.
- I have been reading Revolution by Russell Brand – it’s a rather insane book that reads at a breakneck pace, constantly changes direction, and spurts ideas at you at a mile a minute. Basically it’s Russell Brand on paper, and that’s part of the reason I like it, it has a fabulous energy. I enjoyed the first chapter so much I thought I must buy this so I can underline some of these points. To simplify the idea behind his discussion, the world as we know it no longer works, capitalism has taken over but is destroying the potential balance we could have – we all know that there are enough resources to feed the world, but due to money we do not distribute them evenly. He argues that we all need to rethink what we prioritise and find important, especially the importance we put on money, status, and materialism. A couple of examples of insane wealth distribution that really shocked me – in Britain the richest 1 percent of people have as much money as the poorest 55 percent, and even more weight tippngly crazy the 6 heirs to America’s Walmart have as much money as the poorest 30 percent of Americans.
- I have been listening a lot lately to The Robcast by Rob Bell. This is a spirituality based podcast, focusing on life choices and guidance, and I find his speaking incredibly inspiring and moving. For me the subjects he chooses to speak on are really on topic, and a healthy approach in a busy modern world – like this talk on our unhealthy relationships with our mobile phones, and this one that talks of coping when life seems to be hitting you just a bit harder than usual.
- Simon and I have been watching Orpan Black. This is a clever, face paced, well written, and fantastically well acted Canadian/BBC sci-fi/thriller/drama. I’ve never seen anything quite like it, it’s incredibly unique. I think we whizzed through 3 seasons in about 6 weeks, and the nightly call was often do we have time for just one more? It rates 8.4/10 on IMDB, need I say more.
- Spotify have given out a free 60 day trial which we have been thoroughly enjoying in our home. I am rather liking the control it allows you, and must admit I didn’t expect it to make that much difference but it has. It has also given me the chance to listen to this wonderful piece by Unknown Mortal Orchestra which a friend recommended and I just adore, as well as this slice of gorgeousness from MS MR
and last but not least, a few favourite internet spots I like to go for inspiration….
- This is one of my favourite life-style blogs from Elise Blaha Cripe. I find Elise really inspiring on many levels – she creates, she reads, she parents, she designs, and she runs an extremely successful small business. This blog is a great balance of ideas and a life well lived.
- I really enjoy reading about the life and thinking of Hello Lunch Lady… and this amazing looking Lemon & Chia cake is on my must make list.
- During a recent search for health and well-being foodie blogs I found this incredible vegetarian recipe and life-style site that makes you want to lick your computer screen it’s so well presented. Hello super yummy, here I come!
So those are my current go-to places – I hope you find something that you may like in this list.