Tonight’s dinner – a new recipe made up as I went along, consisting of loads of winter veggies, some burghul, and an impromptu dressing. It was rather super yum, so I thought I would share it with you..
Winter Warmer Burghul Salad
- 1/2 Cup cooked/soaked Burghul – I used the absorption method, so 1/2 cup Burghul to 3/4 Cup boiling water, covered for 1/2 an hour (off heat) and then strained
- 1/4 Cup Mung Beans
- 3 Silverbeet Leaves
- 4 Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Beetroot
- Greek Yoghurt
- Set the oven to 180-200 degree C.
- Put the Brussels Sprouts in an oven proof dish – cover with foil (not touching the Sprouts) and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- At the same time put the Beetroot on a small oven tray and put that in the oven as well – that will take about an hour, depending on the size of the Beetroot.
- Take the Silverbeet and remove the middle white centre of the leaf (I fold it in half and cut on an angle), then fold all the leaves together and slice thinly. Add this to the cooked Burghul in a bowl, and add the Mung Beans.
In a jar make the dressing
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Juice of 1/2 an orange (about 1/3 Cup)
- 1 TB White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- a pinch of crushed chilli flakes
- salt & pepper
Mix all of these – if possible leave to the side for an hour as the flavours develop.
Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing and place on your serving dish. Slice Beetroot into eighths and place across the top. Crumble a little Fetta over (I used only about 30g), and then drizzle lightly with a little Greek Yoghurt and serve. Yum!