Things have been a bit topsy-turvy here in the last week or so with my suddenly, and a little unexpectedly, getting a new job. Whilst I have given my notice at my current job, there has been an overlap while I work both and try and squeeze some little minx in between. Hence the blog quietness. So, since I am now a Baker working in a café I thought I would share my Lemon Slice recipe with you, a particular favourite of mine. I am a self-described “Lazy Baker”, I don’t like things that are too fiddly or have too many complicated steps, and this slice falls well and truly into that category.
– 250g pack of Wine or Tea Biscuits, put through the food processor until you have fine crumbs
– 1 Cup Dessicated Coconut
– Zest of 1 Lemon
– 250g Butter
– 1/2 Cup (half a can) of Condensed Milk
* Line a 20 x 30 cm rectangular slice tin with Baking Paper, leaving an overhang on the sides.
* Process biscuits, then transfer to a bowl and add coconut and lemon rind, combine
* put butter in a small saucepan, melt over a low-medium heat, then stir in the condensed mlk.
* Pour the melted mix onto the dry ingredients and mix throughly.
* Press this mix into the prepared pan and refrigerate until it is firm, about an hour or so. Ice with Lemon Icing.
– 2 Cups Icing Sugar, sifted
– 40g Butter, melted
– the juice of one Lemon
* place icing sugar in a bowl, add the melted butter and lemon juice and beat until smooth. You may need to add a touch of hot water to get it to the consistency you want.