I finally got to and made the pattern for a bag design I have had rattling about in my head for the last 4 months. It’s a simple wee number, relatively straight in concept. I wanted something a bit smaller than the bags I normally make, just for those times when I don’t want to carry a large bag of stuff. Now that Mia is out of nappies there seems to be a lot less in the way of bulky things that need to be carried around, it’s all just water bottles and fruit now.
Making up the test pattern and cutting it out had me so motivated I ended up sewing it together as well, I’m really pleased with the outcome. I’m most proud of the fact that the entire bag is made from vintage and second hand fabric. In fact, apart from the thread, everything about this bag is second hand including the machine it was sewn on. I started with an antique rose for the top half of the front but it seemed to be too much, so settled on this black velvet found in an op shop. The bottom parts are from an oven mitt I pulled apart that had fabulous 1970’s designs, the greeny-beige linen was an extremely good op shop find, and the interior is lined with a vintage 1970’s sheet printed with stone coloured flowers and has an internal pocket made with the linen. To top it off the button is one of my Mother’s from the 1970’s, back from the day when she used to cut all the buttons off garments before throwing them away – something I now find myself doing.
I am so excited by the new design, I guess partly because I have been making the other type of bag for about 18 months now so something new is a real buzz. I’ll make a couple for my shop before Mothers Day looms, but must make Mia that school bag I promised which I suspect will be in this pattern now.