Yesterday I finally managed to get the garden bed I have been working on for the last two years to actually reach the house. Previously our property had seemingly no garden at all, just a few random and fairly unhappy trees and shrubs that were being squashed by the nasty hawthorn hedge that had taken over. We cut the hedge right back so that we could start again with it and take some control, and then I started at the back slowly digging up patches of grass and replacing it with plants as time allowed. It’s so exciting to actually stand on the balcony and see the garden below rather than trying to ignore what has yet to be done.
I planted some AkeAke to fill in the gaps in the hawthorn hedge so we now have a potential “fence” all along one side (only one more side to go…) Simon found a hidden pot with a Kowhai that we all thought was dead but that had actually started to grow again so that went in the garden next to the flax and the other Kowhai. I also planted the two Kanuka’s Reuben & Mia gave Simon for Christmas. The aim is to have an easy-care, low maintenance garden that brings in the birds. There is a local Tui and I am absolutely determined to get it into my garden.
So, many pieces of rusty tin, broken glass, dog bowls, toy cars, and rotting pieces of fence were removed from under the overgrown grass, being that the previous owners had a habit of throwing all sorts onto the ground. I got sunburnt, have an aching back, have at least two prickles in my hands and finally broke my trusty spade… but it’s done.